CALL FOR PAPERS : Museum of Motherhood
CFP – Museum of Motherhood & Journal of Mother Studies
March 25-26, 2022
St. Petersburg, Florida (In-Person & Via Zoom)
Early Submissions Dec 15/ Notification January 15; Late Submissions by Jan 15/Notifications sent by Feb. 15
Creativity for a Cause in Theory & Practice
This conference focuses on creativity, advocacy, and activism through theory and practice. Presenters and participants will share examples, experiences, and analysis of artistic expression, social justice, identity, and action. Given the current climate, relevant questions might include: How do we heal trauma? How can art be leveraged for community connection and social change? What works and what doesn’t work? Where have we been? Where are we now? Where do we hope to be?
We welcome submissions from makers, scholars, students, activists, artists, community agencies, service providers, journalists, women, men, mothers and others who work, play, or research in this area. Cross-cultural, historical, and comparative work is encouraged. We encourage a variety of types of submissions including academic papers from all disciplines, workshops, creative submissions, performances, storytelling, visual arts, film, music, audio and other alternative formats. Topics include (but are not limited to):
Representing Maternal creativity in Film, Video, Fine Arts, Music, and Theater; Motherhood and Representation; Race, Representation and Families mobilizing voices through creativity; Maternal Ambivalence in visual culture; Women and Loss, Depression, and Domestic Violence; Performing Feminism in Practice and Expression; Mother Writer, Daughter Writer: Writing Motherhood; Writing Family, Facilitating the Creative Family; Imaging LGBT Mothers and Maternity; “Late Bloomer” Art: Post-Maternal Artists & Non-Procreators by Choice; Representing Motherhood on the Internet; Motherhood, Art, and Creativity; Healing and Creativity; Families and Disability: Mothers as Creative Cultural Force; Photography; Behind the Camera: Women as Filmmakers, Directors, Producers; Activist Musicians across Musical Genres: Rock, Rap, Folk, Blues, Jazz, Country; Narratives of Creative Mothers: Expressing: Imaging Breastfeeding Mothers, Mommy Bloggers: Re-Writing Motherhood, etc.; Dealing with (Post-partum) Depression by Making Creative Work; Pregnant moms; Earth Mothers and Nature Grrrls; Celebrity mothers; How images of fathers impact representation; News media coverage of foster moms; Women in politics; teen mothers in film or television; Mothers as consumers; Mothering and the representation of Class and Transformation Through Creative Empowerment, Dance, Sports, Literature, and Media; Gender-fluid expressions of creativity and parenthood; Social Change and Social Activism in History and in Contemporary America.
All submissions are considered for publication at the Journal of Mother Studies (JourMS).
To Apply to the CONFERENCE, submit to: INFO@MOMmuseum.org
DOWNLOAD CFP 2022 PDF
CONTACT: MOMmuseum.org l INFO@MOMmuseum.org l 877.711.MOMS (6667)
- Please submit abstracts electronically. We will then contact you and ask you to submit a full MS Word attachments article via e-mail: JourMS@gmail.com
- All work should be double-spaced, with 1-inch margins, in 12-point Times font
- Scholarly essays should be 5-18 pages double-spaced. Reviews should be approximately 500 words (we are flexible).
- JourMS is interdisciplinary. Writers can follow either APA or MLA format (depending on your discipline). Double-space all text, on 8 1/2 X 11-inch paper, using Times New Roman. American spelling.
- All manuscripts must be submitted with a cover document:
- Include a page with author’s name, address, email, phone number, brief bio, affiliation, & recent publications
- A 250-word abstract
- You are welcome to submit original art, or photographic images along with your manuscript; please ensure that you have (or will) proper permissions. Additionally, we will accept alternative formats such as PowerPoint, video, audio, and visual presentations.
- We will send you an acknowledgment of receipt once your submission is processed. The Editorial Board reviews all submissions before sending them out for external, anonymous peer review. We may provide reader comments, and ask you to revise and resubmit your work.
- Please submit final manuscript in Word Document to JourMS@gmail.com
- Seeking additional editorial board members as well for this year’s edition